Monday, June 21, 2010

Don't Blink.

Living in a broken world, and seeing the things that we see every day, I often find myself wondering how people find hope in the midst of heartache, and how long that "hope" last them. I'm not sure what hurts me more, my life and the things that I've been through or am going through right now, or just seeing other people that I know or don't know, just going through life not really knowing what their doing, what their meaning of being here is, and me knowing that they can live for so much more. Yet, I find myself saying "There's tomorrow, I'll tell them then." There's never a tomorrow, there's today, we need to use it wisely and not waste so much time like we have forever to go share Jesus with someone. Don't let your friends die without hearing about Jesus and being prayed for.

There's a song that I've been listening to all day just to figure out the deeper meaning to it, and slowly learning how to explain it to you without getting you confused about what I'm saying. I've heard this song being played on the Christian radio stations that I listen to, and for about a week, I couldn't find a way to add it to my mp3 player, well, I finally got it there, and it's been on repeat most of the day. The name of the song is "Blink" by the Christian band Revive.

While I was listening I was thinking of my own meaning to add to it, but I don't normally do that, I'm the type of person who has to find out the meaning behind it and what inspired them to write it.


Teach me to number my days
And count every moment before it slips away
Taking all the colors before they fade to gray
I don't want to miss even just a second more of this

It happens in a blink
It happens in a flash
It happens in the time it takes to look back
I try to hold on tight, but there's no stopping time
What is it I've done with my life
It happens in a blink




This song makes me think about my life, and the countless number of times that I have wasted my time, and saddly, all the times that I've backed down and didn't share Christ with someone. Yes, I regret it, but I've been given chances to do something about it and to not let it happen again. After all, if our days really are numbered, and everything happens in a blink, then, don't you think that we should spend our time doing things that are far more important than what we have been doing?

As I was typing that last paragraph, my curiosity kicked in, and so I went to facebook and posted something on the Dare 2 Share fan page and I'm curious as to what is the most common excuse given for not sharing Jesus, and this is what they said back:


I've only gotten back a few responses, and I'll just use what I got back. One person said their excuse is "Someone else can do it, I'm not good enough" , a few others said that when we try to share Jesus with someone, we freak out and don't want our friends to judge them, and the last one said was "It's too awkward for me" .

I'm sure there are more and that I could've waited for more to say something back, but I didn't. I wanted to continue writing this while it's all still in my mind and I can place my focus on writing it and won't have any distractions. I wrote this because we're not promised a tomorrow, and neither are our friends or family or the people we see everyday. They could get in the car, get into accident and die today. You never know, and therefore you shouldn't use excuses not to share Jesus.

As I begin to think about this and still have that song, "Blink" , playing, I remember when I lived in De Soto, KS, I had this muslim friend in elementary school and somewhat through middle school. I knew she was a muslim, and I think her family knew I was a Christian. I liked her family, they were nice people (including the men). I wish she wouldn't have moved, and I wish I knew her now. I don't know if I regret not sharing Jesus with her... I was raised in church and all, and I've heard people (especially my grandma) talk about how we need to share Jesus, and how she wishes everyone knew about Him and would go to heaven when they die, and that she didn't want them to go to hell. But, here's the thing, no one ever got to the why part of sharing Christ with others... and now that I know about how terrible Hell is, I've got to go and do something... like share Jesus with everyone that I meet. It's important that we do what Jesus said for us to do.


"19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, "

I'm not the type of person who is afraid to talk about hell. At first, I had a problem with it, and really didn't want to share that part with people. I didn't want to offend anyone, but I'd end up offending someone anyway with what Jesus claimed... take when He claimed to be the only way to God in John 14:6 for one example.

Slow down, slow down
Before today becomes our yesterday
Slow down, slow down
Before you turn around and it's too late

It happens in a blink
it happens in a flash
it happens in the time it takes to look back
I try to hold on tight but there's no stopping time
What is it I've done with my life
It happens in a blink


Slow down and take the time you've been given, and use it the way it should be used. Stop wasting time, and go share Jesus with the world.

Remember that challenge I gave? Take it again, and again and again. Til the whole world hears.

The challenge is to share Jesus with three people this week:

One Friend.
One Family Member.
One Stranger.

"19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, "


Don't blink. Don't let your friends die while you know that every opportunity you're given, is the right one to share Jesus with them. Whose going to be the one to tell them they could've lived for so much more? Will you do it? Today?


- Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment